Saturday, January 14, 2006

A Zest for Life

My daughter Jadyn (2 years old) is quiet, has a long attention span and can keep herself entertained with toys and books for long periods of time. She has always been a very easy child. But I never knew children could be so delightful because my 1st born, Caleb, is quite the opposite.
Caleb is now four-years-old. Since he was born, my life and opinions on life and on children have been forever changed.
The typical day with Caleb is full of ups and downs, that never seems to stop; that is, until he finally falls asleep.
Sometimes, he can be such a handful and more! He can run and run and talk and talk, yet never seems to slow down.
Some days he doesn’t listen to me, or anyone else in authority, at all. He will do anything for attention- good or bad. & he always wants his way. He is very, very “hard-headed” and strong willed.
Despite this I see so much potential in him.
Like on a recent trip to a Dr’s office.While sitting in the waiting room, Caleb convinced an 8-year-old girl to let him use her Leap Pad, while he demonstrated how to use it.. He got a middle-aged man with poor eye- sight read him a fishing magazine, and after trying to get an elderly lady's attention by hitting her shoulder, told her, "You have hairy legs - just like my daddy!"
As I watch Caleb, I think about his future with his excitement for life, his willingness to accept everyone and his high energy level.
I wonder what might happen if I focus on the positives of his personality and energy - rather than try to squelch them. Where he will go and what he will become? And then I wonder how I can be more like him.
My prayer:
Dear God, use the qualities you have given my child to help them reach their greatest potential.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm!
(Ralph Waldo Emerson)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.